Registration will not be complete until you click the Register button after you Login or Sign Up below.
Class Name: Oncology Education Series - Concepts, Trends, and Care (3 day):OES Concepts, Trends, and Care Fall 2022
Number of Slots: 24
Description: This course provides an overview of pathophysiology and nursing considerations for a variety of cancer diagnoses as well as topics related to supportive care of cancer patients.
Course Outcome: Upon completion of this course, the learner will demonstrate knowledge of nursing care for patients with a variety of cancer diagnoses.
Contact Hours: 0
Special Comments: This course meets one day a week for three weeks. Please take note of dates and room assignments. Course logistics subject to change.
Target Audience: This course is for nurses caring for oncology patients in oncology as well as non-oncology areas in inpatient and ambulatory care settings. This course is appropriate for new graduates and nurses transitioning to a new role in oncology. Ideally, participants complete this course within their first 6 months of practice at NIH. Experienced nurses seeking a refresher are welcome to attend.
Course Objectives: Following attendance of the OES-Concepts, Trends and Care Course, the participant will be able to:
1. State the signs, symptoms and risk factors for selected cancers.
2. Explain the diagnosis and staging process for selected cancers.
3. Discuss the pathophysiology, treatment modalities, symptom management, complications, and nursing care for the patient with cancer.
4. Develop a teaching plan for the patient and family with cancer.
5. Describe current oncology research at the NIH Clinical Center.
6. Describe recent evidence related to oncology nursing and supportive care.
7. Identify resources for the oncology nurse, patient and family.
8. Summarize professional activities available to the oncology nurse.
Pre-requisites: Participation in the OES: Cancer Basics (ONS Online) and OES: Oncologic Emergencies (OE).
This is a prerequisite course for nurses new to the Chemo Biotherapy administration competency, who are planning to take the “ONS Online Chemotherapy Biotherapy with Nursing Department Bridge to Practice” course.
10/13/22 - 10/27/22
You will receive confirmation and course reminders from the course coordinator, Megan Mikula, prior to the start of the course. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Class Type: In-person
|Thursday October 13, 2022||07:30 AM - 04:00 PM||NIH Clinical Center:B1C207 (FAES# 3)|
|Thursday October 20, 2022||07:30 AM - 04:00 PM||NIH Clinical Center:B1C207 (FAES# 3)|
|Thursday October 27, 2022||07:30 AM - 04:00 PM||NIH Clinical Center:B1C207 (FAES# 3)|